Helping to shape the future since 1555
School Calendar 2013-14
Sixth Form Option Blocks
RGSPA February Update
Swinton Park Cookery School
Term Dates 2014/2015
5 Year Strategic Plan
RGS Boys Winter Sports Programme
Boys' Uniform List
Uniform and Regulations
Girls' Uniform List
School Officers and Prefects 2013-2014
Term Dates 2013/14
Post-Ofsted Action Plan
NOTIFICATION OF ABSENCE FROM SCHOOL
Spring Term Newsletter
Autumn Half Term Newsletter
L6th Parents Presentation
Engineering Education Scheme
Kirkland Rowell Student Survey, June 2013
16 – 19 Bursary Fund
Junior House Hockey Y8 & Y9, 4:00-5:30pm
Rugby U14 & U12 (H) v Roundhay, 3:45pm
Netball U12 A&B (H) v St Aidan's, 4:00pm
Intermediate House Netball, Y9 & Y10
Rugby YRFU Festival U16 (A) at Horsforth.
Rugby U18 (A) v Pudsey Grangefield.
A short history of Ripon Grammar School
There has been a grammar school in Ripon since Anglo-Saxon times, when a school was attached to the Collegiate Church of St Wilfrid. The first recorded reference to the school dates from the Middle Ages and thereafter the history is well-documented. The current foundation dates from 1555 when Queen Mary and King Philip signed its charter. The school was required to provide a free education for the boys of Ripon, although the master also took in paying boarders. By the nineteenth century the school had outgrown its town centre buildings and so moved to its current location, to the west of Ripon.
The Marquess of Ripon provided the land with the main school building. Since then the buildings have gradually been extended, a process that still continues today. In the late nineteenth century the school was taken under local authority control and in the 1960s amalgamated with Ripon Girls’ High School. Notable former pupils include the theologian Bishop Beilby Porteus and the historian Bishop W. Stubbs. More recent pupils include the dress designer Bruce Oldfield, TV presenter Richard Hammond and journalist Katharine Viner.