Every student who attends Ripon Grammar School is a member of a ‘house’. The houses are made up of all students from the First Form through to the Upper Sixth. Each student is given a house badge of the house they represent during their time at the school. House badges are part of the Ripon Grammar School uniform and must be displayed on the lapel of the blazer of every student.
There are 4 houses:
In 1906 Porteus and Hutton were founded, each named after a famous ex-pupil, along with De Grey to commemorate the family title of the Robinsons of Newby and Studley who had proved such generous benefactors in the late-19th and early-20th centuries. School House, for the boarders, was added in 1928.
The houses are named as follows:
Matthew Hutton joined Ripon Grammar in 1701, arriving as a pupil of the new master,Thomas Lloyd. He remained at the school until 1707 when he went to Jesus College, Cambridge. There he was recognised as an outstanding student and was elected a Fellow of Christ’s College before leaving Cambridge for a career in the Church of England. His rise within the Church was rapid. He was a Canon at York then Westminster, a Royal Chaplain, and then appointed as Bishop of Bangor in 1747. From there he was promoted to be Archbishop of York in 1747 and of Canterbury in 1757. In Ripon he is commemorated with a statue on a pedestal in the choir screen of the Cathedral.
The 18th child of returned American colonists, Beilby Porteus was born in York and attended Ripon Grammar School from 1744 until 1748. He studied classics at Christ’s College Cambridge, where he became a Fellow. He then turned to a career in the Church of England where he earned a reputation as a preacher and writer. He gained a doctorate in divinity and was a Royal Chaplain before being consecrated as Bishop of Chester in 1776. In 1787 he was elevated to the bishopric of London, a position he held until his death. Porteus was a keen supporter of the movement to abolish slavery and an early patron of the Church of the Missionary Society.
The son of the first Marquis of Ripon, Earl de Grey founded the exhibitions to universities which are still presented by the school in the form of major and minor De Grey Awards at Speech Day each year. He provided £200 a year for these exhibitions until 1909 when the first Marquis’ provided the capital to perpetuate the awards. Earl de Grey inherited his father’s title in 1909 but died without heirs five years later bringing an end to the direct line.
School House was added in 1928 for the boarders at Ripon Grammar School. Today the membership has broadened to accommodate day pupils as well as boarders.
At the beginning of the academic year meetings are held to elect House Captains. One boy and one girl from the Upper Sixth are elected from each house. The job of the House Captains is to take responsibility for the leadership and organisation of their house throughout the forthcoming academic year.
The following house competitions take place throughout the year; all competitions give the students the opportunity to win house points. House points are added together and the house with the most points at the end of the year wins the overall house competition. Students quickly form an allegiance to their house and a sense of fun and friendly competition pervades all the house events: